Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Complete Guide to Being a Healer





A lot of people in game ask me Healer related questions, so I decided to try to answer them here. **Everything I say here is my own personal opinion, you do not have to agree with me, these are simply guide lines.** I'm am trying to give good advice that will help you create a character that from lvl 1-60 won't need a restat or a reskill.

    *Help I'm starting a Normal Mode healer, where should I put my stat points and what kind of gear should I get?


On a normal mode character, I would go full wis, no exceptions, 5 wis per lvl!
If you decide to create a different kind of healer then be prepared for

Normal mode healers are really no use in serious pvp, they die too fast. If they add a lot of rec, they may live longer but they won't be able to heal for a useful amount of HP, making it harder for them to be useful in pve parties.

Do NOT add int, it is a waist of stat points and can easily be added to gear, if needed!

If you go full wis on normal mode, then your healer will actually be useful later on, for boss killing and other pve situations.

Gear:

At low lvls a healer can get decent starter gear from doing quests and I'd advise putting int lapis in that gear. It will help them solo grind a little, till they can get to a high enough lvl to the point when parties become available; it's a lot easier with the extra int. The best piece of armor you get at low lvl, is a lvl 25 heroic chest piece, most likely the rest of your gear will be noble, worship or just plain npc gear.

From now on, you should try getting heroic or dread equipment. Easiest pieces of armor to get are lvl 43-46 heroics and lvl 29, 45, 46, 50 dreads. You can put 1 int, 1 rec and 1 wis lapis in most pieces of gear. Your torso should have 1 int, 1 mana and either 1 forbid or 1 hp lapis in it. You will probably find that this gear is good enough for you to continue with.

If you find it hard to get these equips, then just use plain NPC gear, till you can afford better.

Later on, if you decide to re-equip your healer with better gear. I would try to get a dread set of gear. You should know by then what kind of lapis you want to put in it, depending on how you use your normal mode healer and your budget. The main lapis you should focus on, are wis and rec, letting you heal more and survive better. So if for instance you're healing someone for the Astaroth quest, you won't get instantly killed by his AoE attack, you will have time to pot and you'll heal your party member enough for him to survive the beating from Astaroth.

I see normal mode as a stepping stone to hard mode and if you plan on making a hard mode healer, or an ultimate mode healer, then I strongly advise you not to make a normal mode healer; as it will become useless, once you move on to the next playing mode.

    *I finally started Hard Mode and I decided to make a healer, can you help me?


Welcome to hard mode, you can now enjoy pvp and start making different unique character builds!

Now you should decide what kind of healer you would like to make.
I do not personally support Battle/offensive Healers, they can be an interesting class to play but I find them to be weak, so I'm going to skip that.

PvE healer:
I wouldn't personally bother making a hard mode healer for pure pve but here a a few builds that should work good in parties and solo:

5 wis + 2 rec, is a good build for whatever kind of healer you're planning on making. In pve, you'll like this build because you won't be dying to mobs and you'll still heal plenty to keep your party alive. This is a good pvp build and a good pve build.

4 wis + 1 rec + 2 int, this is a nice build for a pve healer who sometimes likes to solo mobs. The wis is enough for you to keep most parties alive and the int will make killing mobs much faster. It's a hybrid and I don't really like this type of build but it's nice for the solo pve healer. You have no real strong points but you can do a little of everything.

6 wis + 1 rec, this is probably the best support pve healer. You have a little extra defense and health, so mobs don't kill you and you're going to heal more than enough to keep any party happy with your heals. Not gonna be fun soloing on this kind of healer though.

PvP Healer:
Now for my favorite type of healer, a pvp healer. I find this build to be most effective. If you've experimented with different pvp builds for hard mode healers, please share your experience.

4 wis + 3 rec, you may argue as much as you want but I find this to be the best healer for pvp. You are basically designed to keep your party alive, while staying alive yourself. This is a party healer, not very effective solo.

In pvp, it's not so much about how much you heal for but about keeping your party alive long enough for them to kill the enemy, while staying alive yourself.

A dead healer is a useless healer!

In pvp, a smart party will target healers first and if you can't survive long enough for your party to kill anyone trying to kill you, then you're useless.

You need to be carful of people who when all nostrumed up, can kill you before you see them coming. It's possible to get killed with 1 skill hit, by a lvl 57+ um warrior. Health assist can save you but I find it best to only resort to that at the last possible moment.

If your party engages a powerful enemy and you die instantly, then the rest of your party is likely to die as well and you have not contributed anything to the fight.

In pvp you should NOT be attacking your enemy!

Your party needs you to keep them alive while they do the killing. If you are being attacked and cant' heal, run to your party for help. There are still spells that you can cast, to help yourself and to help your party, even if you are being attacked and can not cast regular heals. If your enemy realizes that you're not going to die as easy as they thought, they they'll probably try to kill other members of your party.

So what you should do instead of attacking your enemy, is heal, dispel your party, stay alive and occasionally debuff your enemy, if needed.

I'm not referring to situations where your party is much stronger than your enemies. You can run around dancing, for all I care, if your party doesn't need you.

I don't think I need to remind you to ALWAYS keep your party buffed, your buffs are one of the most useful things about healers!

On hard mode, you get a dread armor set for lvl 29-32, use it till you can afford to make better dreads or legends. Good lapis to put in your gear would be rec, wis, hp, def and mp lapis, even some int is ok, if you can spare the slots.


    *Ultimate Healers:


If you've gotten to ultimate mode, I don't think you need much help from me, you can use the rest of my guide as a guideline for your ultimate mode healer. Simply add 2 more stat points into consideration; I would personally add them to rec.

The new ultimate skills that I know about are a self instant heal and a godly buff. You get the instant heal at a low lvl and the buff at lvl 60. When I know more about ultimate healers, I will tell you more.
Maybe an ultimate healer would like to share some knowledge?

To be continued..

All credits for this guide goes to mmOverload. The best MMORPG Guide site on the net.

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

0 kommentarer:

 
ShaiyaHQ © 2009